Commencement draws many people to the UNT campus to celebrate with graduates. Because so many people will be converging on campus at the same time, there will be more congestion and traffic on campus than usual all day Friday, May 11 and Saturday, May 12.
North Texas Boulevard between Eagle Drive and Highland Street will be closed to vehicles during commencement events for pedestrians' safety. Eagle Drive will be closed for westbound vehicle traffic from Avenue C to North Texas Boulevard. Highland Street will be closed to vehicles for the Graduation Block Party from Avenue C to Avenue A beginning at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 11. Other roads may be closed intermittently to alleviate heavy traffic flow around the Coliseum.
Three UNT event shuttles will operate for commencement Friday and Saturday. One shuttle will travel along North Texas Boulevard, back and forth between the Coliseum and parking lots near West Hall. The other two shuttles will run east on Highland Street and west on Maple Street between Avenue D and Avenue A. Shuttles will not operate during the Grad Block Party from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Friday, May 11.
Please be aware, expect delays, plan ahead and allow yourself ample time to get to your destination. Below is information including:
- Directions to and from campus
- Parking for Undergraduate College Commencement Ceremonies and Doctoral and Master's Commencement
- Parking for Graduation Block Party
For navigation systems, enter 600 North Texas Boulevard, Denton, Texas, 76201, as the destination. This will lead you to parking for the Coliseum.
From I-35E, take exit 466 (North Texas Boulevard) and follow the Commencement parking signs and traffic control officer directions.
Parking will be in Lot 20 (Fouts Field parking) as well as lots 14, 15 and 17 along North Texas Boulevard and the Highland Street Parking Garage.
Handicapped and Special Needs Parking
Special needs and handicapped parking will be available at the Coliseum and Murchison Performing Arts Center until the parking lots have filled.
For the Coliseum:
- Special needs and handicapped drop off at the Coliseum Circle is on Avenue D on the east side of the Coliseum.
- Handicapped parking for the Coliseum is along Avenue D and in Lot 27, which is east of the Coliseum between Highland Street and Maple Street.
For the Murchison Performing Arts Center:
- Special needs and handicapped drop off at the Murchison Performing Arts Center is on the northwest side of the center in the circle drive.
- Handicapped parking for the Murchison Performing Arts Center is on the south side of Lot 20 (Fouts Field parking). Handicapped parking is very limited.
Instructions for Graduates
- Graduates may park in Lot 20 (Fouts Field parking) for Commencement ceremonies, but space is limited and the surrounding streets will be congested with event traffic. Expect delays.
- If Lot 20 is full, graduates can park in any lots north of Fouts Field and walk to the Coliseum or Murchison Performing Arts Center.
- For ceremonies at the Coliseum, graduates will enter the Coliseum through the west tunnel along North Texas Boulevard.
Instructions for UNT Employees
- Be aware that there will be major congestion at North Texas Boulevard and Bonnie Brae Street near the Coliseum and Murchison Performing Arts Center throughout the day Friday and Saturday.
- Faculty and staff participating in the Commencement ceremonies should park in Lot 26, north of Highland Street. You may park in Lot 20 (Fouts Field parking), but space is limited and the surrounding streets will be congested with event traffic. Expect delays.
- Faculty and staff who are working Friday, May 11, may park in the top two floors of the Highland Street Garage. All vehicles must be moved from the Union Garage by noon on Friday, May 11.
Parking will be in Lot 20 (Fouts Field parking) and in the Highland Street Parking Garage. Additional parking will be available in the lots along Welch Street.