UNT has postponed Spring 2020 commencement ceremonies and cancelled the 2020 Grad Block Party.
Providing our students and their families an opportunity to celebrate the tremendous accomplishment of earning a degree is one of the most important things we do. We are monitoring the ever-changing situation but in light of the current unprecedented global events and knowing that families need to know how to handle travel arrangements, we have decided to delay all Spring 2020 commencement ceremonies. A revised schedule will be posted on this site when it has been finalized.
Block Party Basics
- What will this event be like? The evening will be filled with festivities, including commemorative giveaways, free festival-type food, food trucks (for purchase), live music, games, photo ops, a bounce house, Scrappy, a special ice cream flavor in honor of graduation (Scrappy Sundae) and UNT merchandise and memorabilia available for purchase through the UNT Barnes & Noble Bookstore and Jostens. Everything wraps up with fireworks and the UNT Alma Mater at dark (around 9:30 p.m.).
- When and where is the event? The event takes place from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, May 10, along Highland Street between Avenues A and C, on the University Union South Lawn and in the Library Mall. In the event of rain, the event will take place inside the University Union.
- Why this day/time? This date and time was selected based on feedback from students during several focus groups held by the university’s planning committee for the Block Party. Students expressed interest in this time to allow all graduates and guests, from both ceremony days, the ability to attend without conflicting with already scheduled commencement ceremonies.
- Will there be a speaker or formal portion during the block party? There will not be a formal speaker; however, we will end the night with a special faux-champagne toast to graduates, the singing of the Alma Mater and fireworks at dark. Additionally, we will have an emcee and announcements for things like prizes throughout the night.
Gifts and giveaways
- Do I need to bring anything? Graduates should bring their UNT ID and tassel to receive their free gift.
- Will students who aren’t graduating receive the special gift? No. Graduates are the guests of honor, and the special gift and the drawings are intended only for graduates, which is why graduates should bring their tassels and UNT IDs. However, there will be other giveaways for non-graduates and other guests!
Who is invited?
- Who can attend the Block Party? Graduates from this academic year and their friends and family, current students, alumni and faculty and staff are encouraged to attend.
- If I graduate in the summer/last fall, can I go to the Block Party? Yes! The Block Party is a new tradition that honors UNT’s newest alumni for the academic year. We are celebrating 2017-18 graduates with their loved ones, fellow students and faculty and staff with a party that recognizes our graduates’ hard work and accomplishments in classic, UNT style.
- Why can students who didn’t graduate this year attend? Graduation is a time to celebrate with family, friends and loved ones. This event is open to reflect that many of our grads will want to celebrate with those that they are closest to – which also includes other UNT students!
- Can I go to both my ceremony and the party? Yes! Graduates, guests and the UNT community are encouraged to attend both their individual commencement ceremony and the Grad Block Party.
- Where can I park? Parking is free and available for the Block Party in the lots along Welch Street, in the Highland Street parking garage and in the Fouts Field lot. Please see the directions and the map.
- Will UNT issue citations or tickets for parking? We recommend that graduates and other guests park in the designated commencement parking lots.
- Where is ADA parking? Special needs and ADA accessible parking for both the Commencement Ceremonies and the Grad Block Party will be available in Lot 27 and in designated ADA spaces across campus.
Cost, gifts and freebies
- How much is the event? The event is free and most festivities are free. There are a few options for guests to make purchases, including graduation merchandise from the UNT Bookstore/Jostens, items from local food trucks, etc.
- How much did this cost the university? The details and plans for the Grad Block Party are not yet finalized, so there are no final costs yet.
- Why spend money on a block party at all? Graduating from college is one of the most important events in a person’s life and the university wants to make it as memorable and meaningful as possible. The Grad Block Party is intended to mark the occasion with fanfare.
Student representation during planning
- Were students represented during the planning of commencement or the block party? The commencement committee consists of several representatives from across the university who are tasked with coordinating commencement-related festivities and it includes two students who serve on the committee. In addition, the university held several focus groups with students to get feedback for planning this year’s event.
- Were the student representatives and student committee members allowed to attend committee meetings for the block party? This year’s student committee members and student representatives for the Grad Block Party planning committee have been invited to all of the committee’s meetings and have helped provide valuable feedback for this year’s festivities.
Food, refreshments and alcohol
- Will there be food? Yes! There will be a wide variety of fair-type foods available for free. Guests can also purchase items from local food trucks.
- Can I bring alcohol, kegs, etc.? Outside alcohol brought into the event will NOT be permitted. Glass containers and kegs are NOT permitted.
- Can I tailgate during the block party? Graduates and their guests need only bring their UNT ID, tassels and themselves to the party. Many large, outside items will not be permitted, including: pop-up tents, grills, smokers, tables, chairs, coolers, glass bottles, kegs and outside food or alcohol. However, there will be items from food trucks available for purchase in a designated area of the event.
- UNT alcoholic beverage policy.