Graduation is here and one of the rituals of graduating is wearing the traditional cap and gown during commencement. Wearing your cap and gown marks your entry into the world as a proud college graduate. Academic regalia is a ceremonial tradition -- and UNT brings its own flourish to this tradition.
UNT graduates wear regalia featuring UNT's green school color to clearly distinguish them as graduates of UNT, home of the Mean Green, and proud UNT alumni.
UNT's regalia differs by the type of degree a graduate earns -- bachelor's, master's or doctoral. And there are different colored tassels for baccalaureate candidates to distinguish graduates by college. Learn more about the different regalia below and about how to order your regalia.
We know some of our undergraduate students are not able to afford the price of a cap and gown and therefore do not walk across the stage to celebrate this huge academic accomplishment. The Dean of Students office has created the “Mean Green Gowns for Grads” program to support our low income and first generation University of North Texas students with a free rental of graduation caps and gowns. In addition to a cap and gown, recepients will also have the option to participate in a free photo session to provide them with graduation pictures. Learn more about the program and how to apply.
Baccalaureate Candidate Regalia
- Official UNT green gown
- UNT green mortarboard
- Tassel, colored according to college with a year date drop
Master's Candidate Regalia
- Official black gown with UNT green panels and pointed sleeves
- Black mortarboard (Master's of Fine Arts candidates wear a tam instead of mortarboard)
- Black tassel with a silver year date drop
- Master's hood lined in the official UNT green and white satin school colors, trimmed with a velvet degree color band according to discipline, and a black shell
Doctoral Candidate Regalia
- Official UNT green gown, lined with black velvet panels on the front and three chevrons on the sleeves
- Black velvet six-pointed tam
- Gold bullion tassel
- Doctoral hood lined in the official UNT green and white satin school colors, trimmed with a degree color band according to discipline, and a green shell
Colors of tassels according to college:
- College of Business: Light brown/drab
- College of Education: Light blue
- College of Engineering: Orange
- College of Information: Lemon yellow
- College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences: Gold
- College of Merchandising, Hospitality, Tourism: White*
- College of Music: Pink
- College of Health and Public Service (previously named College of Public Affairs and Community Service): Peacock blue
- College of Science: Gold & Emerald
- College of Visual Arts and Design: White*
- Mayborn School of Journalism: Red
- New College: White*
*The College of Merchandising, Hospitality, Tourism, College of Visual Arts and Design and New College all have white tassels.
The colorful hoods worn by master's and doctoral graduates represent the specific degree earned and the degree granting institution. Hoods for UNT are distinguished by a kelly green and white chevron lining. The outside edge of the hood is bordered in a band of velvet that signifies the degree received.
See official UNT regalia pricing and deadlines. Official UNT regalia may be purchased through the Barnes & Noble Bookstore on campus. Orders will be shipped to the Barnes & Noble at UNT bookstore on campus for pick up prior to commencement ceremonies. Payment is due at that time.